Before we dive into looking at our boys’ bedroom, I just wanted to say what a SUPER sweet bunch of readers you are. 🙂 Thank you so much for all the get well wishes you sent my way with the last post. I am better – although not totally well as I found out in Target today when I tried to do a little shopping and started running a fever again. boo hiss But I am determined to get this post out for you. So let’s get started.
One of the things I don’t like about magazines lately is that they show you these little vignettes but don’t give you the full room to get the context of where they fit in the space. They may look beautiful with gorgeous photography, but I always want to see more. Don’t you? I think you need both the whole room and the closeups. In my post with the sneak peek the other day, I only showed you the small vignettes. Yes, guilty as charged. Today I want you to see where they fit in the room.
Let’s start with one of those small vignettes. This was a small section of the bookcase in the bedroom shared by our two sons (now in their twenties) previously when the room was done in black and white with accents of yellow and had accessories that were related to travel.
When I started thinking of redoing this room, I wanted to get rid of the black, and use accessories that were a little less serious. My favorite version of our sons’ room was when they were around 10 and 12 years old, and the room had a sports theme. It had red and blue plaid fabric for bedskirts and drapes, and red accents. I didn’t want to recreate that room, but I did want to incorporate some of those elements. Both of our sons are planning on going back for more education, so I decided to use the sports gear along with school accents for more of a collegiate theme. Here is the new version of the space pictured above.
I don’t think you could easily tell there was beadboard in the back of that bookcase before. I simply repainted it red, added college textbooks, a basket of sports equipment, and framed a photo of the football stadium where one of our sons attended college. I liked this lamp I found at Lowes since it had kind of a “trophy” look to me. Now here is how this vignette fits into the entire bookcase.
This was the previous view down the bookcase wall. You may recall all the changes started because we needed to replace the twin sized beds with queen sized ones. That meant the chair had to go. (It went to daughter’s room.)
And this is the view now. The black dresser went into the closet, and the desk moved over to the bookcase side of the room.
This is how the antique postmaster’s desk looked in its previous location.
And now a better view of it in its new location. I really like how the baskets with sports equipment turned out in the arrangement above it. I also replaced the antique stool with a new one that is adjustable for different heights.
I showed you this vignette of textbooks in a basket the other day.
It sits atop a dresser that is now in the place of the desk. The dresser had been in the closet and had old hardware on it that looked dated. I had planned to replace the handles with brushed nickel ones, but changed my mind after going through a million metal changes with lamps.
This room took a verrrrrry long time for me to do because I did not want to make the drapes, but I also did not want to pay a tremendously high price for ready made ones. I looked and looked for months and continued to come up empty handed. I finally realized that I was going to have to make them. One day I had an idea that duvet covers might work if you cut them in half. I decided on a plaid and had several in my cart at a Pottery Barn outlet in Gaffney, South Carolina. Then I remembered that I had not actually measured those windows to be sure they would work so I put them back on the shelf. It was a good thing because when I did finally measure them, the windows were several inches longer than the duvet. That killed that plan. On to plan B….sheets!
PBteen has a good selection of plaids, and I really liked this brown and red one. When they went on sale, I bought 3 queen sized sets and used the flat sheets to make drapes. I cut them in half and lined each panel with twin sized white sheets from Wal mart.
Another biggie that slowed down redoing the room was the beds. One of our sons used his mattress and box springs in college, and they sat on the floor. The other son had his on a metal frame in his apartment in Atlanta. So neither son had a real bed, and I wanted real beds for their room, and again I did not want to pay thousands of dollars for them. I looked and looked and looked and looked. There were many pretty ones out there, but none at a price I would pay. So my husband decided that he would build them. Here is the first one he finished.
I really had planned to paint the beds the same color as the room, but after he did the final sanding on this one it looked almost antique. And of course, all the males around here (and even our daughter) prefer it stained and not painted.
My husband is still currently finishing the second bed, and that is why this post is titled Almost Finished. I will show you the other side of the room when he gets the other bed completed. I also have a little “tweaking” left to do myself on a couple of things in the room before I think it is truly finished. I hope you have enjoyed seeing what we have accomplished so far (even if we aren’t completely through. :))
Until next time…