Everything around here seems to be a domino effect. I truly had no plans to redo my daughter’s room at all (even though it had been in its latest state for more than 7 years.) But the black checked chair in the boys’ room needed another parking spot so that there would be room for larger beds in there.
After searching the entire house, the only place it could go was in my daughter’s bedroom…but that meant a total rearrangement of the furniture in there. And of course, if you are going to all the trouble of rearranging the furniture, you could just go ahead and repaint, right? (Especially since daughter had been asking that the polka dots and red walls be changed.) You might remember those walls from the Christmas Snow post…
the bunk beds
the window at Christmas
Her bedroom is visible from the family room (and the dining room and the kitchen..), and I really think rooms should flow visually through sight lines. So I had to think about what would work – not only in there – but also in the view from other rooms. And it had to work with that chair that she was adopting. That was asking a lot.
One day I was looking at the comforters on the Pottery Barn website and remembered loving a particular pattern from Christmas. I checked, and amazingly, it was marked waaaaay down – but they only had 1 twin size in stock.
That was what I needed to finally get the plan going in there. Unfortunately, there were no shams available either, but I thought perhaps Ebay could help me with that. So I ordered the one comforter from Pottery Barn, and it came. I love the red paisley print, and the reverse with its assorted red typography is gorgeous, too. All of this was to be a surprise for my daughter when she came home from college, but she came home one weekend too early, and I had to show the linens to her. (She loved them, too.)
Okay, that’s enough of the back story. Are you ready to see the finished room? As I mentioned, the furniture had to be rearranged so that there would be wall space for the chair.
I had planned to use the black and white gingham drapes from the boys’ bedroom, but they just did not look good from the family room. So I ordered some of the same panels in a different color from Country Curtains. My plan had been to sew pom pom fringe on them, but it really looked too juvenile when I held it up with them. (My daughter wanted a room that was a little more grown up.) So the fringe plan came to a halt. I tried them on the rod with the clip on rings, but that looked kind of plain…so I came up with sewing red ribbon ties to the top from which to hang them. They worked well and added a needed punch of color.
Here are the bunk beds. For the nonexistent shams and the other comforter, I bribed my sons to go to the Pottery Barn Outlet for me when they were headed to North Georgia for a backpacking trip. The outlet did not have any shams, but they did have the king size comforter marked down lower than the low price I had paid for the twin. So I had them pick up one of the comforters, and I made shams and the other comforter from it.
With the remaining part of the comforter I made basket liners for the desk baskets, a seat cushion for the desk chair, and recovered the cork board with the typography print. (I took the fabric apart, and removed the batting inside…and there is still a yard or two of the prints left.)
And here is the black and white checked chair that started the whole changing of the room. I think it would be lovely if it were recovered in that typography fabric..so if I run across another comforter at a great price, I just might have to take it apart to have some more fabric for that project.
My daughter likes her new room – especially having that lamp in the area by her bed. (Oh and there are rails for the upper bunk. I just have them stored in the closet until she has an overnight guest to use them.)
We still haven’t put away everything from her first year of college..guess that is what summer vacation is for. I finished the decorating plan for the room over the garage today. Hallelujah! (But it is nothing like what I thought I was going to do up there. 🙂 ) And I am still mulling over how to do the boys’ room. Decisions…decisions! At least daughter’s room is mostly done. I hope you enjoyed the little virtual tour of it.
until next time..
* update with sources for you *
(And you do know that when it says custom it means I did it….we are major diy-ers. 🙂 )