In October last year, I decided it was time to make new drapes for our master bedroom. We had lived with the blue plaid for about 15 years (which is a very long time for me to live with any decor! 🙂 ) Here is how it used to look:
Most of our rooms have drapes that can be changed out easily when the I’m-ready-for-a-color-change mood hits, but not our master bedroom. With 5 windows (plus 1 in the hallway to match) I have not made other sets of drapes for that room. It would be waaaay too many to store.
So I thought about what would work best in there and allow me to be more flexible in decorating the room. Because of that I decided the new drapes needed to be something neutral. I also knew that it was going to take over 30 yards to make them, and I did not want to spend a fortune. Soooo… the best choice was the khaki buffalo check fabric at Ikea.
Yeah…buffalo checks again.
My husband and I made a trip to the Atlanta Ikea in November and purchased all of the fabric they had in stock – 17 yards. 🙁 It sat in my workroom the rest of that month…and into December when we went back and got the needed remaining yardage. Then all of it sat in my workroom through January…
It was such a big job I just could not get motivated to start on it. So finally in May….
I cut it all up to be tablecloths for our daughter’s graduation party.
But, before I cut it, I measured it into the correct lengths for the drapery panels in the bedroom. 🙂 And then this summer I finally got to work on them between a few of our trips.
So come on in and take a look at the new version. 🙂
A few of the panels were used to cover the box springs on the bed in place of making a dust ruffle.
But wait…what happened to all the red and the red plaid chair and ottoman??
When I got the finished drapes hung in the room, the red plaid chair did not have enough contrast for that corner. So I traded it for the black check one in our daughter’s room and made a slipcover to match for the ottoman. (How-to hopefully coming soon.) And because it is fall, I stole one of the yellow comforters from the boys’ bedroom to use in place of the red linens. (Don’t worry. The red will return for Christmas. 🙂 )
Then I added a bit more yellow to the dresser for another touch of fall in the room.
The master bath also got an update. I switched out the red print drapes for some old black gingham ones I used to use in the dining room…
and added a couple of fall touches for that room as well.
Then I finally got brave enough to paint the inside of the antique cupboard in the other part of the bathroom. And what color did it get to be?
Yellow, of course. 🙂
And that is the update for fall in the master bedroom and bath. Oh! I almost forgot! There is one other new thing I need to show you in there…
Yes, a new treadmill! It was one of my birthday presents back in August. I know it is not exactly a beautiful accessory for the room, but it was/is a much needed one! Between riding for long periods of time, eating delicious high calorie food while we have been traveling, and taking a medication that decreases my metabolism, I was gaining some weight (for the first time in my life! 🙁 ) So the treadmill has helped me lose 12 pounds, and I know it will be needed with the upcoming holiday season.
And that brings us to the end of this tour. Thank you for visiting today! I hope you enjoyed seeing the new fall version of the master bedroom and bath. I’ll have a bit more fall decorating to show you in a few days, so be sure to check back here for that. 🙂
Until next time…